아비드의 총체적 난국..그리고 WAVES

페이지 정보

본문

흠.. 프로툴 유저들이 갈수록 늘어난 오디오가이 같은데 전혀 토론이 없는것 같아서 나중에라도 검색하시는분이 있을까봐 한번

이야기를 남겨봅니다.제가 틀린부분이 있다면 지적해주시고요.. ^^

작년에 HD를 정리해버렸습니다.AAX라는 새로운 포맷으로 32/64비트 floating으로 아비드가 전부 갈아탈것! 이라는 플랜을

보고 아..이제 끝이구나.. 라고 생각을 한거죠.그리고 안정화(!)가 되면 HDX로 갈아탈 생각을 했는데 웬걸? 이게 빠른 시간안에

해결될만한 사항이 아니란것이 드러나는거죠.일부는 성급하게 HDX로 넘어갔다가 TDM지원이 안되자 되팔아버리는 현상이

생기고, HDX판매량은 아마도.. 국내에서 100분이나 계실까 모르겠네요..전부 팔린게 천몇백대정도 수준이라니까..

뭐..아비드의 멘붕은 이미 8부터 시작되었는데요.. 10에서 정점을 찍었죠.기존의 HD업글하는데 $1000을 달라질 않나..

항의가 거세지자 꼼수로 내놓는다는게 무슨 플랜같은거 들이밀고 향후 몇년간 공짜로 소프트 업글도 해주겠다..

(아마 $699인가 그렇죠?) 어쩌고.. 프로툴이 음질이 더 좋고 해드룸이 더많고.. 뭐..이런 여러가지 주관적 의견들이

모여서 하나의 객관적인 무언가가 되는 부분도 물론 있겠지만 가장 중요한 부분은 내가 백만원짜리 장비를 가지고 있어도

몇억원짜리 시스템을 갖춘 스튜디오에서 작업한것을 이리저리 가져가며 작업할수 있는 '호환성' 이것이 최고의

장점이겠지요.. 그런데 아비드가 이점을 너무 오래 거의 독점식으로 리드하다보니까 악수를 둔것 같습니다..

마치 예전에 모 게임기가 했던 그짓을 하는듯한.. '야..우린 이렇게 가기로 했으니까 너네가 거기다가 맞춰' 이렇게 된

분위기인데 플러그인 회사들이 따라가 주질 않는 분위기. 정확히 말하면 WAVES의 우리는 앞으로도 AAX포멧을 지원할

생각 없다! 라고 루머인지 사실인지 모를 이야기가 퍼지고 WAVES는 묵묵부답.WAVES가 몇년전부터 좀 곤조를 부리긴

했지요.우리는 64비트로 당분간은 안간다..라던지.. (결국은 했지만) 그래도 이번은 철저하게 무시해버리네요.

아비드가 WAVES를 무시하고 여전히 '호환성'을 무기로 삼을수 있을까요? 아비드로써는 이미 HDX는 풀렸고 빨리들

AAX를 공식 포멧으로 인정해주고 따라와줘야 하는데 이게 예전같지 않다는게 문제.

HD11이 나올때가 되었는데 만약에 64비트로 전부 바뀌고 AAX만을 지원한다는 애초의 이야기데로 간다면 전문 스튜디오들은

어떻게 될까요? 매우 난감하게 될듯.집에서11으로 작업한것을 10을 가지고 있는 스튜디오에서 열어보지 못하는 경우가 생길지도

모르죠..저는 아마도 RTAS는 유지하고 가지 않을까 조심스럽게 예측해봅니다.최소한 2-3년은 있어야 대부분의 3rd party

회사들이 AAX를 모두 지원할것 같은데 (발매된지 1년이 넘었는데도 참여하는 회사가 거의 없는걸로 봐서)

그 기간동안 HD를 구입하고 싶어하는 유저들은 어쩌라는건지..플러그인 회사들이 AAX로 포멧을 바꾸야할 매력을 별로

못느끼고 있다네요..ㅋ

다음은 아비드 사이트에서늬 HDX FAQ 입니다.

Q: What is Pro Tools|HDX?
 A: The Pro Tools|HDX system represents a milestone in Avid's development of DSP-accelerated hardware, delivering up to 5x more DSP per card, over 1,000 dB of additional headroom, and up to 4x more tracks and 2x more I/O compared to its Pro Tools|HD Accel predecessor. The Pro Tools|HDX system enables you to mix bigger, more complex productions, with the rock-solid performance and stability that you've come to expect from Pro Tools|HD. And as your needs grow, you can scale the system to increase track counts, power, and I/O, using up to three Pro Tools|HDX cards and multiple Pro Tools HD Series interfaces.

With this addition to the Pro Tools|HD family, you now have two powerful system choices. Choose Pro Tools|HD Native if you need the advanced workflows and sound quality of Pro Tools HD software, but want to leverage your host computer to get the best performance and lowest latency. Or choose the new flagship DSP-accelerated Pro Tools|HDX system if you require consistent peak performance and near-zero latency to handle extremely large and complex productions. Regardless of which you choose, both systems provide the highest performance, lowest latency, and greatest sound quality available for the most demanding audio post and music production professionals.

Q: Can I run Pro Tools 9 or earlier software on Pro Tools|HDX hardware?
 A: No. Pro Tools|HDX requires an updated version of Pro Tools HD software, which will be included with the system.  update 12/22/2011: Pro Tools HD 10.1 Mac is now available

Q: Does Pro Tools|HDX use both core and process cards like previous Pro Tools|HD systems?
 A: No. We've simplified the system to use just one type of DSP card, removing the need to have two different cards. With one card, you can mix up to 256 voices. If you need more tracks and power, you can expand your Pro Tools|HDX system with up to three cards. With two cards, you can mix up to 512 voices, and with three cards, you can have up to 768 voices, eliminating the need for an expansion chassis to support very large sessions. Each Pro Tools|HDX card has two DigiLink Mini connectors, which can support up to four interfaces — or up to 12 interfaces (192 channels of I/O) with a three-card system.

Q: What is AAX and why did Avid create a new plug-in format?
A: AAX is a new unified plug-in format that comes in two flavors — AAX DSP, which requires a Pro Tools|HDX system, and AAX Native, which can be run natively on the host CPU with any Pro Tools 10-based system (including Pro Tools|HD Native, the Mbox family, and Eleven Rack) or standalone software. The AAX format provides better workflows and sonic parity between DSP-accelerated and native Pro Tools systems. (RTAS and AudioSuite plug-ins will also run on Pro Tools|HDX systems, but TDM plug-ins are not compatible.)

We created AAX for the future, as it's a 64-bit ready format, and will allow our third-party development partners time to ready their plug-ins for Pro Tools technology advancements down the road.

Q: What is the difference between AAX Native and RTAS plug-in formats?
 A: While both are native plug-in platforms, AAX Native uses a new SDK that is 64-bit ready. Pro Tools 10 software will run both versions, but AAX is our platform for the future.

Q: Are all TDM-only plug-ins from Avid available in AAX format?
 A: With the Pro Tools 10 software release, the following new Avid plug-ins are available in AAX format: Channel Strip, Down Mixer, and Mod Delay. When Pro Tools|HDX is available later this year, we will have many more Avid AAX plug-ins available. Pro Tools 10 and Pro Tools HD 10 software include the three new Avid AAX plug-ins. Avid Channel Strip enables you to get the sound of the award-winning System 5 console EQ and dynamics in your mix. Down Mixer enables you to fold down any multi-format channel. And Mod Delay lets you add more dimension and richness.

Q: Are all third-party manufacturers updating their plug-ins to AAX format?
 Many third-party manufacturers have transitioned (or are in the process of transitioning) their plug-ins to the new AAX format.  For the latest details, see:
 •Avid's AAX Plug-in Compatibility page
•Announcement from Metric Halo (added 3.22.12)
•Announcement from Wave Arts (added 3.22.12)

Q: Why did Avid switch from 24-bit processing/48-bit fixed summing to hardware that offers 32-bit floating-point processing/64-bit floating-point summing, and what does it mean for me?
 A: There are several reasons for the transition. A 64-bit floating-point mix bus provides more than 1,000 dB of headroom, which is more than enough to handle the huge track counts that Pro Tools|HDX can deliver. Also, by moving the insert paths to a 32-bit floating-point format, Pro Tools|HDX offers much more dynamic range for plug-in processing, making it nearly impossible to clip the plug-ins, while also being able to handle greater than 24-bit audio file formats.

Many of you have told us that even with dual-precision plug-ins processing at 48-bit, the path between inserts on Pro Tools|HD was still limited to 24-bit — thus, limiting any gains. With Pro Tools|HDX, all data streams are maintained at full 32-bit floating point and then summed in the DSP mixer at 64 bits. Our beta customers told us that they could hear and appreciate the difference.

Q: Since Pro Tools|HDX is so much more powerful card for card, can I trade in multiple Pro Tools|HD Core and Accel cards towards a single Pro Tools|HDX card system?
 A: Yes. You can trade in a Pro Tools|HD 1 system towards Pro Tools|HDX (which includes Pro Tools HD 10 software) starting at $7,999 (US MSRP). Or trade in a Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel system towards Pro Tools|HDX starting at $6,999. Or trade in a Pro Tools|HD 3 Accel system towards Pro Tools|HDX starting at $5,999.

Q: Will Pro Tools|HDX support my older Pro Tools|HD interfaces, such as the 192 I/O, 192 Digital I/O, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, and the blue SYNC or SYNC HD?
 A: Yes it will, but you should consider taking advantage of the discounted exchange pricing on newer Pro Tools HD Series interfaces, because Pro Tools 10 will be the last official major release to support the older ("blue") Avid interfaces. Please note that we will continue to support these legacy interfaces in the form of software updates for any bug fix issues that may arise.

Q: Can I trade in my older Pro Tools|HD interface for a newer interface when I exchange my Pro Tools|HD cards towards Pro Tools|HDX?
 A: Yes. When you crossgrade from Pro Tools|HD to Pro Tools|HDX, as part of the transaction, you can trade in any legacy ("blue") Pro Tools|HD audio interface for an HD OMNI interface at no charge (limit 1 per Pro Tools|HDX crossgrade). Or you can trade in any legacy Pro Tools|HD interface and upgrade to an HD I/O 8x8x8 interface for $1,000 (USD; limit 1 per Pro Tools|HDX crossgrade at this price). You can exchange additional Pro Tools|HD interfaces at discounted prices — contact your local reseller for details.

Q: Do I need to buy an Avid interface separately when purchasing a new Pro Tools|HDX system?
 A: An interface is included — Pro Tools|HDX provides the highest performance as a complete system, which includes the HDX PCIe card, Pro Tools HD software, and your choice of Pro Tools HD Series interface. This configuration is how we designed and tested the system to guarantee the highest performance for our most demanding professional customers. By purchasing Pro Tools|HDX as a complete system, we can also offer a lower cost of entry when compared to purchasing each piece separately.

The savings are dramatic when comparing the previous Pro Tools|HD 2 Accel core system with HD OMNI bundle, which carried a retail price of $12,495 (USD)-and this doesn't include the cost of a Pro Tools 10 upgrade. The new and more powerful single Pro Tools|HDX PCIe card + HD OMNI bundle with Pro Tools HD 10 software carries a retail price of $9,999 (USD) — a savings of $2,400.

Q: How many Pro Tools|HDX cards can I use in a system?
 A: You can scale a Pro Tools|HDX system with up to three total cards running in a CPU or approved chassis, for a total of 768 simultaneous voices.

Q: What operating system will I need to run Pro Tools|HDX?
 A: Mac OS 10.7.x Lion is fully qualified. Windows 7 is still currently under testing. Pro Tools HD 10 will run in both 32-bit and 64-bit operating system mode. A minimum of 4 GB of RAM is required, but 8 GB is recommended — even more will be helpful if you want to use the new Extended Disk Cache functionality, which loads an entire session into RAM to deliver better performance. You can assign up to half of your total installed RAM to the cache — for example, if you have 16 GB of RAM installed, you can select up to 8 GB of RAM in 2 GB increments.

Q: Can I use my external chassis with Pro Tools|HDX?
 A: Chassis support is still under testing and not qualified at release. For Pro Tools|HD Native and legacy Pro Tools|HD systems, we still support the Magma PE6R4, PCIe-to-PCIe 1, 2, 4, and 7-slot chassis. Please check the Compatibility and Upgrade pages for more information.

Q: Can I use a Pro Tools|HD Core or Accel card along with a Pro Tools|HDX card for TDM plug-in support?
 A: No. You can't install an older Pro Tools|HD card and a Pro Tools|HDX card in the same system.

Q: If I open a Pro Tools HD 9 session that includes TDM plug-ins on a Pro Tools|HDX system with Pro Tools HD 10 software, will I run into any problems?
 A: As long as you have the AAX or RTAS versions installed of the plug-ins used in the session, the processing will just translate over to the new DSP. If an AAX plug-in doesn't exist, the Pro Tools|HDX system will use the RTAS version.

Q: Can I trade in my Pro Tools|HD Native system for a new Pro Tools|HDX system?
 A: Yes, hardware crossgrade exchanges are available for Pro Tools|HD Native systems for $7,499 (US MSRP).

Q: What's the difference between Pro Tools|HDX and the VENUE HDx Option Card?
 A: Pro Tools|HDX is the new generation of DSP-based PCIe interface card for Pro Tools, replacing the legacy Core and Accel PCIe cards. The VENUE HDx Option Card for VENUE FOH Rack and Mix Rack systems essentially acts as an audio peripheral for connecting to a Pro Tools|HD Accel or Pro Tools|HD Native system, and soon (once qualified) to the new Pro Tools|HDX card (via a simple DigiLink cable adapter).

번역 필요하심 말씀 주세용~ ^^

관련자료

hans님의 댓글

총체적 난국인 것 같습니다......ㅋ ...저는 그냥 프로툴HD native로 가려고 합니다만...썬더볼터버젼의 네이티브가 나와서 HD소리가 좋네, HDX가 정말 좋네 해도 그냥 모든걸 감안하고 프로툴네이티브썬더볼트+옴니번들에 192io에 무엇인가 붙이려고 했는데요...XL48이라는거 소리들어보고 그거 구입해서 붙여볼까 생각하고 있었습니다...들고다니는게 할일인지라...^^;

제 선택이 어찌보면 괜찮은 선택인것 같기도 합니다....프로툴HD네이티브는 AAX가 아니라 RTAS일테니깐요...ㅋ...잘 보았습니다. 감사합니다...^^;

네임님의 댓글의 댓글

Hans님 안녕하세요~ ^^ 문제는 11이 RTAS지원을 할까 안할까가 될것 같습니다.뭐..플러그인 회사들이

참여하지 않으면 지원 하겠죠.. 별수 있겠습니까? ^^ 어떻게 64비트 환경으로 부드럽게 넘어가느냐가 관건이죠.

저는 당분간 프로툴은 그냥 마음 접고 기다려야할것 같습니다. ^^ 내년엔 돈좀 모아서 신형 맥프로랑

HDX한번 가보려 했는데 키보드,드럼머신같은거나 좀더 모아보려고요.. 엔지니어는 갈수록 더 존경받아

마땅한 분들이라 생각이 듭니다.아..이번에 새로산 컴프레서...제 귀로는 도저히 성능이 가늠이

안되는 ..ㄷㄷㄷ ㅠ.ㅠ

hans님의 댓글의 댓글

네?? 근데 프로툴 HD native는 11이상도 지원한다고 하여 구입하려는건데...RTAS도 지원않으면 AAX네이티브라도 HD네이티브에 돌아가지 않을까요? 어차피 저야 플러그인을 많이 사용하진 않아서 문제는 없는데요..11이상 지원도 하지 않으면 그건 또 문제네요...^^;;

답변과 소식 감사합니다...한번도 못뵌 분인데...왠지 자주 뵈었던 분 같은 느낌이 드는건...오됴가이때문이겠지요..^^;;
  • RSS
전체 10,326건 / 1페이지

+ 뉴스

+ 최근글

+ 새댓글

통계

• 현재 접속자 127(1) 명
  • 오늘 방문자 5,184 명
  • 어제 방문자 5,078 명
  • 최대 방문자 15,631 명
  • 전체 방문자 12,646,724 명